Small Acts of Kindness

Wednesday 7 October 2015

Have you ever wondered what marks our time here? If one life can really make an impact on the world or if the choices we make matter?

For the past couple of weeks I have been re-watching old episodes of One Tree Hill, one of my all time favourite TV series. Besides the captivating plot, relatable characters, and the eye candy that is Chad Michael Murray, the thing I like the most about this series is that it never fails to get me thinking (cue my deep and meaningful thoughts for your reading pleasure...).

In the episode "Songs to Love and Die By" the main character, Lucas, has a heart attack and during his state of unconsciousness he experiences an alternative reality, one which shows him how different life would be if he hadn't made the choices he had. In a nutshell, tragedies have led Lucas to believe that being a good person doesn't matter, but as the episode progresses he is shown that all of his acts of kindness, no matter how big or small, have impacted the lives of his friends and family immensely.

With this is mind, I have been particularly reflective about whether or not the choices I make really matter. I love it when a stranger smiles at you in the street or when a store cashier sparks up a genuine conversation with you and wishes you a good day; if I smile back at the stranger or wish the cashier a good day back, will I positively impact their day? I'd like to think so.

I think the following quote is spot on and it really sums up my sentiments with regards to small acts of kindness:
A simple smile can turn someone's whole life around - it can signal support, approval or just genuine compassion and for someone who is having a bad day, a little smile can provide them with the reassurance they need to make them realise that things maybe aren't as bad as they seem.  

Other than the foods we eat and the lifestyle choices we make, I think a big part of being healthy is rooted in our relationships with others and our social environment. Over the past couple of years I have made a conscious effort to become more thoughtful in everything that I do, whether it be through keeping in touch with people, remembering the little things (have I asked Friend X how their interview went?) or simply by adopting a kind and caring nature with everyone that I meet.  

One of my favourite books is the '5 People You Meet in Heaven' by Mitch Albom, which is about a man who encounters five strangers in heaven who significantly impacted his life when he was alive, irrespective of whether he personally knew them or not. This is a real thought-provoker as it really highlights the significance of our actions and how we can impact a strangers life without even knowing it - it's definitely worth a read!

In response to the opening questions of this post, I really do think that one life can make an impact on the world, even if it's just the world of another person. Kindness doesn't cost a thing and we'd all do well to show more of it. I also think it's important that we become kinder to ourselves; we need to stop beating ourselves up over small failures and comparing ourselves to others. The choices we make do matter, so let's start using these choices to improve the lives of ourselves and others for the better!

P.s. Being kind to myself means that I can treat myself to a new wardrobe this week, right?

- Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS